[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2010-3: Customer Confidentiality

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Tue Feb 2 15:36:22 EST 2010

In a message written on Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 01:05:50PM -0700, Chris Grundemann wrote:
> whois must contain valid contact information for the person/entity
> directly responsible for the host(s) using a given IP. I oppose this
> and any other policy which undermines this fundamental requirement.
[snip]
> @ChrisGrundemann
> weblog.chrisgrundemann.com
> www.burningwiththebush.com
> www.coisoc.org

% dig +short weblog.chrisgrundemann.com
173.14.10.9
% whois -h whois.arin.net "GTS-Castle Rock-CO-2013227"

CustName:   GTS-Castle Rock-CO-2013227
Address:    Private
City:       Private
StateProv:  CO
PostalCode: 99999
Country:    US
RegDate:    2009-07-08
Updated:    2009-07-08

NetRange:   173.14.10.8 - 173.14.10.15
CIDR:       173.14.10.8/29
NetName:    GTS-CASTLE-ROCK-CO-2013227
NetHandle:  NET-173-14-10-8-1
Parent:     NET-173-14-0-0-1
NetType:    Reassigned
Comment:
RegDate:    2009-07-08
Updated:    2009-07-08

RAbuseHandle: NAPO-ARIN
RAbuseName:   Network Abuse and Policy Observance
RAbusePhone:  +1-856-317-7272
RAbuseEmail:  abuse at comcast.net

OrgAbuseHandle: NAPO-ARIN
OrgAbuseName:   Network Abuse and Policy Observance
OrgAbusePhone:  +1-856-317-7272
OrgAbuseEmail:  abuse at comcast.net

OrgTechHandle: IC161-ARIN
OrgTechName:   Comcast Cable Communications Inc
OrgTechPhone:  +1-856-317-7200
OrgTechEmail:  CNIPEO-Ip-registration at cable.comcast.com

Your host is in a /29 in the database, and you say the person
directly responsible is a fundamental requirement; yet you are not
listed.

Indeed, I downloaded bulk whois and did this check several years
ago.  I point you to
https://www.arin.net/participate/meetings/reports/ARIN_XVIII/PDF/thursday/WHOIS_Bicknell.pdf.

Did you know there were 104,511 netblocks at the same street address!
Whee!  Turns out it was the street address of PacBell's HQ.

So if you want to assert that having contact information is a
fundamental requirement then I'm afraid to say by 2006 (when I did
that presentation) a good percentage of the SWIP's arlready were
missing such information.  I believe since then the growth has
continued in that direction.