[arin-ppml] Petition Underway - Policy Proposal 95: Customer Confidentiality - Time Sensitive

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Mon Feb 1 09:15:22 EST 2010

In a message written on Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 11:32:10PM -0500, William Herrin wrote:
> I'm not trying to single out anyone, but frankly I'm frustrated by the
> AC's collective behavior this past year and I doubt I'm the only one.
> I'd be far more sympathetic if all the quiet work outside the public
> eye resulted more and better advice for proposal authors from among
> the general public, and less suppression of proposals not written by
> members of the AC itself.

I won't comment on the merits of your argument, but I will comment
on one small aspect, "the quiet work outside the public eye."

I would favor having AC meetings "open to the public".  To be clear,
the public would be in listen only mode, they could not participate
in any way, shape, or form.

This would allow interesting parties (including proposal authors)
to know the exact discussion around their proposal in real time
rather than getting edited minutes a month or more later.  This should
foster much faster turn around of policy proposals.  Additionally,
it would give the public more insight into what the AC members are
doing, which might help them choose who to elect.

Sunshine can fix either of the problems here; if the AC is run amock
the public will see it, and if in fact they are doing a good job,
the public will also see that.