[arin-ppml] Petition Underway - Policy Proposal 95:Customer Confidentiality - Time Sensitive

James Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 01:06:30 EST 2010

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 11:27 PM, Alexander, Daniel
<Daniel_Alexander at cable.comcast.com> wrote: [snip]
..
Information doesn't have to be provided with SWIP.    The  ARIN  NRPM
provides that a provider can offer  re-assignment information via a
RWHOIS. server    The  NRPM  doesn't actually specify  what type of
contact information the RWHOIS server has to provide.

If a providers'  RWHOIS server only provided a 'name'  for the
contact,  the  'usefulness'  of the RWHOIS server would be limited.
However, the NRPM doesn't list   "attributes that have to be
populated"  for each record.

Perhaps someone could point to the current clause in the NRPM that
would be violated  by a  RWHOIS server   that  did not  provide
e-mail  or  phone number for a contact?

..
> Who are we trying to contact with this directory and why? The primary
> reason for a swip record is for a contact in the event of an issue. My
> opinion is it should not need to be a contact of who's host is using the
> IP. The contact should be one that can respond in a timely manner if

No,  there are multiple kinds of contacts in the directory. "An issue"
is probably the most common reason that information is to be looked up
and actually used, but that doesn't mean it is the primary reason the
record is there.

Another reason is to provide public accountability for IP re-assignment.
Just an  'organization name' is not sufficient for that:  names can be
made up or fictional, ARIN looking up public records requires more
details than a name.
If they have to  "ask"  for the information,  that  implies   ARIN
doesn't  even have information required to audit re-assignments  --
going through the trouble to "ask" for basic contact information
increases costs for ARIN, and for ISPs.

Re-assignment information allows an organization to easily "prove"
they are a legitimate user of those ip addresses.    Other internet
users can more easily investigate allegations  that someone has
"hijacked a range of IP addresses",  or decide which user is
legitimate,  or a secondary ISP of  end users' network may require
their contact appears in WHOIS, before they will initially allow the
end-user network to announce that prefix to the ISP for multi-homing.

One of the contact addresses provided with the WHOIS directory should
reach the network manager for the network involved,  a  person   with
the ability and authority  to disconnect a host in the block in
question from the network,   without the collateral damage of
disconnecting other  important parts of the network.

--
-J