[arin-ppml] ARIN IPv4 Number Resource Inventory (was: PP 124 Preliminary Info)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Dec 30 19:48:33 EST 2010

On Dec 29, 2010, at 1:52 PM, Martin Hannigan wrote:

> I'd like to request that the ARIN staff please provide an accurate
> condition of current inventory including all address space, reserves,
> holds, etc.

As of today, ARIN's total IPv4 address inventory consists of the
following number resources:

  At present, there are currently 3.32 /8s that are available for ARIN
  to issue out of. Note that ARIN no longer makes internal reservations
  of adjacent IPv4 space to facilitate aggregation future requests, and
  existing reservations of that type have been released back into the
  available pool and is accounted for in the 3.32 /8s listed above.

  Additionally, there are currently 0.07 /8s of IPv4 address space that
  are in revoked/returned/reclaimed status which will become available
  for ARIN to assign from over the next 6 months as their release dates
  come up.

  Additionally, there are approximately 1.53 /8s of legacy IPv4 address
  space (formerly designated as the "various registry" space on the IANA
  registry page) that are about to become available ARIN to issue from.
  These address blocks had been held for several years pending final
  agreement amongst the 5 RIRs, but the list has been finalized and the
  space is becoming available for issue momentarily.

The sum total of the about IPv4 space that should be considered available
going forward for resource requests is 4.92 /8s of IPv4 address space.

Note also that ARIN is also holding space (254 of 256 from one /8) which
was returned by INTEROP.  Per our existing practices, this space was
placed in temporary holddown before reuse, and it to be released from
its 6 month hold status on May 22, 2011. As it is quite possible that
this space will be returned to the IANA, it has not been counted as
part of ARIN's available inventory for issue in the numbers above.

I hope this information provides clarity regarding ARIN's IPv4 number
resource inventory; it is our plans to have this information maintained
online and current starting in early 2011.

Happy Holidays!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO