[arin-ppml] Discussion Petition of ARIN-prop-125 Efficient Utilization of IPv4 Requires Dual-Stack

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Wed Dec 29 12:55:48 EST 2010

On 12/29/2010 9:30 AM, Leo Bicknell wrote:

> It also illustrates the problem I have with the policy.  If we apply
> PP125 to the transfer market, I feel that we effectively nullify
> the potential usefulness of that market.  While I was never in favor
> of transfers because I did not think they would do enough good to
> outweigh the harm, I do believe that those who argued for it were
> standing on a solid footing.
>
> In this case I think PP125 is just too late to the party, so I'm
> in favor of sticking with the status quo.  That said, if we adopt
> PP125 I think it renders the transfer market nearly useless for
> it's intended goals,...

I agree completely with this analysis which captured exactly what I was
about to point out. This proposal takes a very narrow view of "what
additional public IP addresses are for", namely "adding public facing
(web) servers" and "adding downstream customers". There's all sorts of
networks which need public address space and for which *only* IPv4 is
appropriate. Blocking them from getting IPv4 addresses from ARIN during
the end-game is probably wrong, and blocking them from getting IPv4
addresses via a transfer mechanism is definitely wrong.

As an extreme example, let us suppose the existence of the Distributed
Legacy Computing Museum... a museum with dozens of facilities around the
country in which computers and operating systems which never had and
never will have IPv6 capabilities are on display and in operation and
perhaps even reachable from the outside over IPv4 for interested
researchers. What do they do when they acquire 100 additional surplus
machines they wish to place on the network? (Answer: Get more IPv4 space
from a transfer market or even a transfer in the form of a donation,
perhaps. Or if they plan ahead, why not get them from ARIN next month?)
If every IPv4 address they have now has a historical machine plugged in
and operating associated with it, why wouldn't that be "efficient
utilization"?

Similar cases exist for sensor networks that are in operation that want
to add another hundred identical IPv4-only sensors over the next 10
years and after the 10 years have a plan to switch to newer IPv6-capable
sensors, etc.

Matthew Kaufman