[arin-ppml] Discussion Petition of ARIN-prop-125 Efficient Utilization of IPv4 Requires Dual-Stack

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Wed Dec 29 12:30:36 EST 2010

Your message articulates a fork in the road.

The first path is the path that was argued back with the transfer
policy.  Some folks won't deploy IPv6 for various reasons, for
instance their vendor is 6 months from giving them support on their
platform, or their capital budget doesn't let them upgrade the
hardware until the next fiscal year.  The idea was to give these
folks who had real impediments to IPv6 access to IPv4 so they were
not dead in the water.

The second path is the path you are arguing with PP125.  Faced with
decreasing IPv4 stocks we should choose to give them to the folks
who are already fully IPv6 enabled and embracing the future, rewarding
them for their early adoption and forward thinking.  Those who can't
do IPv4 should be left behind at this point, they missed the bus
and it's no longer worth throwing good resources at people who just
aren't going to make it.

It also illustrates the problem I have with the policy.  If we apply
PP125 to the transfer market, I feel that we effectively nullify
the potential usefulness of that market.  While I was never in favor
of transfers because I did not think they would do enough good to
outweigh the harm, I do believe that those who argued for it were
standing on a solid footing.

In this case I think PP125 is just too late to the party, so I'm
in favor of sticking with the status quo.  That said, if we adopt
PP125 I think it renders the transfer market nearly useless for
it's intended goals, almost to the point where it is worth considering
repealing specified transfers if PP125 were to pass.

This policy needed to come up at the same time as the transfer proposal,
so we could debate the two forks.  However, we chose one with the
transfer mess and have started down that road, to take the other fork
now means to back up a significant distance and go in another direction.