[arin-ppml] Discussion Petition of ARIN-prop-125 Efficient Utilization of IPv4 Requires Dual-Stack

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Dec 27 14:46:03 EST 2010

On Dec 27, 2010, at 8:35 AM, William Herrin wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Chris Grundemann
> <cgrundemann at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Supporting the petition to move this proposal forward could allow precisely
>> that discussion to take place.
>
> Chris,
>
> So could submitting a more modest proposal along the lines of:
>
> Organizations shall be ineligible to receive new IPv4 address
> allocations, assignments and transfers from ARIN unless:

s/and/or/
s/from ARIN//

> 1. The organization has previously received an IPv6 allocation or
> assignment from ARIN or another RIR, or
> 2. The organization demonstrates that it has deployed an IPv6 network
> continuously connected to the Internet.

Delete paragraph 1. What is the point of allowing one to bypass the
requirement by merely acquiring a block of IPv6 addresses?

> Try something along these lines and if the AC still drops the ball,
> I'll support your petition.

As an AC member who voted to abandon 125 and a very big supporter
of IPv6 in general (as I believe most people are aware), I still do not
believe on principle that ARIN should be attempting to force migration
in this way and would not support such a proposal during the discussion,
but, I would vote to bring it to the meeting. Further, if there were strong
community consensus on the mailing list and/or at the meeting, I would
vote for adoption.

I would not be able to do so for 125 as I believe it is way too invasive.

Owen