[arin-ppml] 2010-8: Rework of IPv6 assignment criteria

Brett Frankenberger rbf+arin-ppml at panix.com
Sat Aug 21 13:09:27 EDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 04:25:14PM -0500, David Farmer wrote:
> The following is a major rewrite of 2010-8: Rework of IPv6 assignment
> criteria, based on input received at the last ARIN meeting and other
> discussions;  I'm interested in feedback

What is the definition of site?  Any building/campus in the network?

For example, is every large (1501 stores or more) retail company in the
ARIN region entitled to a /32?  They'd all meet requirement 6.5.8.1(c)
below; most or all would meet 6.5.8.1(a), so that gets them in the door
for an IPv6 assignmnet of some size.  Then, if they have at least 1501
stores, is each one a site. for the purposes of entitling them to a /48
for each?  (Obviosuly they don't need that and might not request that.
But if they did, the policy below would seem to allow it.  Assuming
they're allowed to define each store as a site.)

This isn't necessarily a problem -- IPv6 space isn't scarce the way
IPv4 is -- I'm just asking what you intended the definition of "site"
to be.

> -------------

[ Lot sof snippage in what follows ]

> 6.5.8. Direct assignments from ARIN to end-user organizations
>
> 6.5.8.1 Criteria
>
> a. Having a previously justified IPv4 end-user assignment from ARIN or
> one of its predecessor registries, or;
>
> c. By having a network consisting of a total of 1000 or more hosts, or;
>
> 6.5.8.2. Initial assignment size
>
> Organizations that meet at least one of the initial assignment criteria
> above are eligible to receive a minimum assignment of /48. Requests for
> larger initial assignments, reasonably justified with supporting
> documentation, will be evaluated based on the number of sites and the
> number of subnets needed to support a site.
>
> Organizations may request up to a /48 for each site in their network. If
> an organization elects for smaller prefixes for some sites, these will
> be aggregated into an equivalent number of whole /48 prefixes.
>
> One and only one /48 equivalent justified, receives a /48 initial
> assignment;
> More than 1 but less than or equal to 10 /48 equivalents justified,
> receives a /44 initial assignment;
> More than 10 but less than or equal to 100 /48 equivalents justified,
> receives a /40 initial assignment;
> More than 100 but less than or equal to 1,500 /48 equivalents justified,
> receives a /36 initial assignment;
> More than 1,500 /48 equivalents justified, receives a /32 initial
> assignment or larger.

     -- Brett