[arin-ppml] IPv6 /32 minimum for extra-small ISP

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Mon Apr 26 16:46:31 EDT 2010

On 4/26/2010 11:39 AM, Chris Engel wrote:

> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>
>> Interesting how costs have been bandied about, a few days ago it
>> was $2250 now it's $1250.
>>
>> Please tell me the name of an employer where any employee who is
>> NOT a salesman can go to his or her boss and say "Can I go spend a
>> thousand bucks on something that has no justification for
>> existence other than we might need it sometime in the future?"
>

> Ted,
>
> I think you basicaly described most types of insurance that
> businesses carry.

That isn't a good analogy.

The proper analogous statement would be the employee who told their boss
they needed to spend a thousand bucks on something that has no
justification for existence other than we might need it sometime in the
future, OTHERWISE if we didn't send the money we could be sued if we
did need it.

That's the difference between buying insurance and buying IPV6
in a nutshell - at the current time, of course.

> I can't speak for  ISP's but in the Enterprise
> world 1-2K isn't going to even be a blip on the radar screen as far
> as the real costs of IPv6 (assuming an Enterprise would even go
> through ARIN rather then thier ISP for space).

Right, of course the debate wouldn't affect Enterprises anyway
because they aren't minimal users of IPv4.  (we would assume)

> The real costs will
> come in man-hours of planning, deployment, training, support and
> skill building, HW/SW compatability issues, compliance issues, lost
> business and broken applications. As far as costs...those are the
> real killers for IPv6 (IMO).

Looking at IPv6 from a purely financial perspective what the
enterprise is ultimately going to come up against is that you
are definitely going to lose customers if you have no IP to
give them, and you may lose customers if you have IP to give
them but it's only IPv6.

And of course since the actual IPv4 "runout" is going to vary
from company to company, the companies with the most money
who can afford to buy IPv4 off the transfer market, will have
a competitive advantage - as long as the transfer market can
continue to fill IPv4 orders.

Ted