[arin-ppml] IPv6 /32 minimum for extra-small ISP

Chris Engel cengel at sponsordirect.com
Mon Apr 26 14:39:54 EDT 2010

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> Interesting how costs have been bandied about, a few days ago
> it was $2250 now it's $1250.
>
> Please tell me the name of an employer where any employee who
> is NOT a salesman can go to his or her boss and say "Can I go spend a
> thousand bucks on something that has no justification for existence
> other than we might need it sometime in the future?"

Ted,

I think you basicaly described most types of insurance that businesses carry. I can't speak for  ISP's but in the Enterprise world 1-2K isn't going to even be a blip on the radar screen as far as the real costs of IPv6 (assuming an Enterprise would even go through ARIN rather then thier ISP for space). The real costs will come in man-hours of planning, deployment, training, support and skill building, HW/SW compatability issues, compliance issues, lost business and broken applications. As far as costs...those are the real killers for IPv6 (IMO).

Christopher Engel