[arin-ppml] IPv6 /32 minimum for extra-small ISP

Paul G. Timmins ptimmins at clearrate.com
Wed Apr 14 18:54:49 EDT 2010

> Thanks. Real data. Seems like a useful contribution to the discussion.
> Not sure why the questions leading to this point generated such
> hostility, nor why it had to be preambled with "snarky" stuff.
>
> So the "every router" statement has now dwindled to "most large ISP
> routers and about half of small ISP routers, which together compose
> about 10% of the world's routers." (Could be a misreading of the data
> because we don't know whether Randy's #tested is representative of the
> proportion in the total population.)

Another thing to consider is that just because someone has a default route doesn't mean they don't carry full tables. A recent acquisition by our company had two routers with full tables to different ISPs, but there was still a floating static route configured.

I think this is probably pretty common - admins who aren't BGP professionals not wanting to trust their BGP configurations entirely in the event they do something wrong. But there are definitely costs to carry the routes, regardless if they use a floating static or not.

-Paul
(who has a router taking full feeds at his house (hiding behind his employer's ASN, not de-aggregating!), with a floating static out to a backup internet connection)