[arin-ppml] IPv6 /32 minimum for extra-small ISP

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Wed Apr 14 18:39:43 EDT 2010

Thanks. Real data. Seems like a useful contribution to the discussion. Not sure why the questions leading to this point generated such hostility, nor why it had to be preambled with "snarky" stuff.

So the "every router" statement has now dwindled to "most large ISP routers and about half of small ISP routers, which together compose about 10% of the world's routers." (Could be a misreading of the data because we don't know whether Randy's #tested is representative of the proportion in the total population.)

And the interpretation you draw, which I agree with:

> those that add prefixes to the DFZ are probably not sharing
> equally in the costs associated with the additional prefixes

Yeah, we all knew that, but it is better to have a finer understanding of the specific disjunction in the distribution of costs and benefits, which is well known at least in my field as the motor of policy conflict and change...this could lead to a better understanding of how the associated tragedy of the commons has a specific structure and dynamic and what policy measures would best address it.

--MM