[arin-ppml] ULA-C

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Apr 12 20:41:56 EDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 2:30 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> No transit provider in the world accepts those routes and assuming that
>> such traffic would have to traverse at least three networks
>> (originating, at least one transit and the destination), having all
>> three misconfigured is quite unlikely.
>>
> And yet, time and time again, they show up in the routing tables.

Owen,

So what? You can kill them with three lines in your filter if they
bother you. As can I. As can anyone who cares. And a ULA-C will be
even easier: just one line to suppress the whole mess.

Are you so insecure about ARIN's ability to satisfy IPv6 GUA users
that you think those users will do what it takes to pressure the
network operators into reliably carrying ULA as if it was GUA? You
shouldn't be. ARIN does fine.

Hell, if it's a concern, why not offer ULA based on the registrant's
agreement not to announce it into the public Internet routing tables
and give ARIN the right to fine registrants and if necessary revoke
the registration for any uncorrected leak that someone complains
about?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004