[arin-ppml] Comments on Draft Policy 2010-3: Customer Confidentiality

Chris Grundemann cgrundemann at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 14:47:11 EDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 10:43, Chris Engel <cengel at sponsordirect.com> wrote:

> Chris,
>
> I don't see how sending out an e-mail to slipperysam at gmail.com which has an auto-responder setup on it to reply to such ARIN e-mails is going to help much to provide information on who that address holder really is. If some-one really wants to hide thier identity....pretty much the only way you are going to find it is tracing the form of payment they use when paying thier ISP's bills. Doing that probably means going to the courts.

True, it won't tell you *who* they are but the hope is to determine
*that* they are.

While the implementation of the policy is completely up to ARIN staff,
my vision was for something a bit better at rooting out fake or bad
addresses. Like including a URL that must be visited, or a certain
phrase that must be included in the reply. Something very lightweight
for a real person but hard (if not impossible) for an auto-responder.
Then you at least know that someone is receiving mail at that address,
which is quite a bit better than what we have now - but not perfect.

> The place a policy like that may help is when a block holder isn't purposefully trying to hide who they are....but may have had some internal changes (moved offices, new e-mail address, new network admin, etc) and forgotten to update thier contact info accordingly. I don't neccesarly object to the policy...I just don't think it's going to achieve all that much outside of issues like that.

I agree that the biggest win will be keeping honest folks honest, but
I think it will provide some help combating the bad guys too.  Again,
specific implementation is up to ARIN staff but the idea is that after
the emails go out they will end up with a list of unresponsive POCs
and that will give them somewhere to start.  Most of the unresponsive
POCs will be sorted out through a phone call or physical letter. The
others will likely often point to abandoned and abused resources. That
is the hope anyway.

~Chris

--
@ChrisGrundemann