[arin-ppml] Comments on Draft Policy 2010-3: Customer Confidentiality

Chris Engel cengel at sponsordirect.com
Wed Apr 7 12:43:47 EDT 2010

Chris Grundemann wrote:

> You are right, this policy will not help. What might is an
> opt-in type email once a year to all (technical and abuse)
> POCs.  See the adopted-but-not-yet-implemented policy 2008-7
> for an idea of what this looks like.

Chris,

I don't see how sending out an e-mail to slipperysam at gmail.com which has an auto-responder setup on it to reply to such ARIN e-mails is going to help much to provide information on who that address holder really is. If some-one really wants to hide thier identity....pretty much the only way you are going to find it is tracing the form of payment they use when paying thier ISP's bills. Doing that probably means going to the courts.

The place a policy like that may help is when a block holder isn't purposefully trying to hide who they are....but may have had some internal changes (moved offices, new e-mail address, new network admin, etc) and forgotten to update thier contact info accordingly. I don't neccesarly object to the policy...I just don't think it's going to achieve all that much outside of issues like that.

Christopher Engel