[arin-ppml] Comments on Draft Policy 2010-3: Customer Confidentiality

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Apr 6 16:40:05 EDT 2010

On Apr 6, 2010, at 12:01 PM, Aaron Wendel wrote:

> Hi Wes,
>
> Thank you for contributing to the discussion on Draft Policy 2010-3.
>
> I've been contacted recently by several people who have expressed concerns
> such as yours over this policy.  In all cases these people, such as
> yourself, seem to be unaware of the ARIN whois structure or how this policy
> changes it.  There are broad assumptions being made that this would do away
> with the whois information or somehow "obscure" it and make life tough for
> people like yourself.  Most respondents I've talked to have said that they
> need to know who ARIN has allocated IP space to.  This proposal does nothing
> to change the information that ARIN provides in a public format on who IPs
> are allocated to.  It does not obscure any data currently available on who
> has IPs from ARIN.

While this is technically true, I do not believe it is an accurate reflection of
the net effects of the policy proposal. The proposal would allow ISPs to
anonymize and/or remove significant information from records currently
published in whois as well as allowing them to not submit much of that
information to publication in the future.

I think that the issue is you are making a distinction between who has IP
addresses DIRECTLY from ARIN vs. who has IP addresses from an
upstream which received them either directly or indirectly from ARIN.

I believe that Wes and others who have commented actually care about
who the end-user of an IP address block is rather than merely who it was
issued to by ARIN.

Wes, could you please clarify your intent here?

Thanks,

Owen