[arin-ppml] ULA-C and reverse DNS

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Apr 6 16:02:49 EDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 12:24 PM, Kevin Kargel <kkargel at polartel.com> wrote:
> Hmmm..  what makes ULA cheaper to administer than GUA from
> an RIR perspective?  One or the other is an artificial economy.

There are no public-interest requirements to be analyzed with ULA save
that you pay the bill.  Thus it can be fully automated and even farmed
out to the likes of Godaddy. We're not likely to get the same economy
of scale, so it's going to still be more expensive than than a $10
dot-com, but sub-$100 is entirely achievable.

That isn't true of GUA. Who qualifies for how much GUA has major
public policy compliance concerns tied to it. Artificial or not,
managing that compliance process costs money. Perhaps GUA can be
reformatted so that the remaining public interest requirements lend
themselves to automation but while we're arguing about how to do that
it would be irresponsible to ask the folks who need ULA space to
suffer.

> If any part - even one address - of ULA can be routed [on the
> public Internet] then it is not ULA, it is GUA.  If it is GUA then
> current policy and pricing apply.  Simple.

IFYP. ULA can be routed between private systems. That's the whole
point of making them unique instead of repeating RFC 1918. The
restriction is that ULA space isn't to be introduced into the public
Internet's DFZ and if introduced, it should fail to propagate. That's
the IETF's direction for ULA and no one appears to be challenging it.

I note that subroutes of 2002::/16 are also successfully blocked from
the IPv6 DFZ even though the address space is registered. For example,
2002:c721:e000::/39 is registered to me:

{lily:herrin:/home/herrin:!} whois 2002:c721:e000::/39

Querying for the IPv4 endpoint 199.33.224.0 of a 6to4 IPv6 address.

OrgName:    Why? InterNetworking
OrgID:      WHYINT
Address:    3005 Crane Drive
City:       Falls Church
StateProv:  VA
PostalCode: 22042
Country:    US

NetRange:   199.33.224.0 - 199.33.225.255
CIDR:       199.33.224.0/23
NetName:    WHY
NetHandle:  NET-199-33-224-0-1
Parent:     NET-199-0-0-0-0
NetType:    Direct Assignment
NameServer: MINOC.DIRTSIDE.NET
NameServer: LILY.DIRTSIDE.COM
Comment:
RegDate:    1994-01-20
Updated:    2005-05-02

RTechHandle: WH23-ARIN
RTechName:   Herrin, William Dennis
RTechPhone:  +1-703-534-2652
RTechEmail:  arin-contact at herrin.us

OrgTechHandle: WH23-ARIN
OrgTechName:   Herrin, William Dennis
OrgTechPhone:  +1-703-534-2652
OrgTechEmail:  arin-contact at herrin.us

#
# ARIN WHOIS data and services are subject to the Terms of Use
# available at https://www.arin.net/whois_tou.html

But any route I announce for 2002:c721:e000::/39 dies hard. I fail to
see what compelling reason would cause the DFZ operators to open
routing to fc00::/7 when they haven't opened it to 2002::/16. This
fear is not well grounded.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004