[arin-ppml] ULA-C and reverse DNS

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Tue Apr 6 13:52:28 EDT 2010

> Hmmm..  what makes ULA cheaper to administer than GUA from an
> RIR perspective?  One or the other is an artificial economy.

No analysis necessary. No rules to apply. No justifications needed.

It can be done with a web page that the customer must fill in
completely, with help instructions embedded on the page. When
they click the final button with their credit card details,
ARIN's system collects the money and queues up a request.
All that a human has to do is a simple check for complete
info as requested, and that the payment has cleared. Then
they push another button that causes ARIN's server to do
a "create" transaction with the IANA ULA-C registry server.
The address block is allocated and added into IANA's registry.
The ARIN server does a quick lookup check to be sure that it
is properly recorded in the registry and then fires off an
email to the registrant. Occasionally something will fail and
need a few minutes of human attention to sort out.

That is why ULA-C registration should be cheaper.

I would expect that the IETF instructs ICANN/IANA/NRO to collect
a fee of no more than USD 4.00 for each "create" transaction and
no more than USD 1.00 for each modify transaction. Then I would expect
that the RIRs would set their fees to the registrant to be compatible
with their local fee structure, and a lot cheaper than global unicast
addresses from 2000::/3

If you want to argue the IETF imposed fee structure then do it on
the 6MAN WG mailing list. As for ARIN fees, if you are a member,
ARIN operates a member mailing list where you could discuss this.
Since it is not open to influence by the policy development process
we shouldn't get into big discussions of it here.

--Michael Dillon