[arin-ppml] ULA-C

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sun Apr 4 00:00:53 EDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 10:22 PM, Durand, Alain
<alain_durand at cable.comcast.com> wrote:
> On 4/2/10 8:11 PM, "William Herrin" <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>> The strong consensus
>> to filter IPv4 at /24 is all but set in stone these days
>
> Do you think this is going to stay that way very long after IANA exhaust?

Alain,

I think the cost of an IPv4 address has a long way to rise and the
cost of an IPv4 route has a long way to fall before the economics
favor a general shift towards accepting longer prefixes in the DFZ.
Converting allocation to a zero-sum game will certainly increase the
cost of an IPv4 address. But that much? My magic 8-ball says: Very
Doubtful.

For that matter, if the /21 crew hadn't overstepped by also pushing
the notion that folks couldn't multihome unless they had yay many
computers, they'd have probably have managed to pull the bulk of the
/8's back to a maximum prefix length of /21. They had a compelling
case, but boxing small multihomers into a corner where they had to use
PA cutouts proved self-destructive.

>> As you are not an idiot, you already knew all this. That's why I
>> called your claim that getting a ULA into the DFZ would just be a
>> question of money intellectually dishonest.
>
> Words like these do not help much. We may agree to disagree, but the
> discussion should remain courteous.

You're right. I'm just frustrated with the direction this discussion has gone.

The need here is real simple. ULA. From the already-defined ULA pool.
But with registry-guaranteed uniqueness (instead of statistical
uniqueness) and a DNS PTR delegation.

It ain't supposed to be a global unicast address. It's useless if it
we unify policies to the point where the registry function costs the
same as it does for a global unicast address. The NAT boogieman isn't
going to get us any faster with or without it. And for God's sake, we
need an RFC to tell IANA to hand addresses off to a registry or
registries, not micromanage every little detail.

-Bill

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004