[arin-ppml] ULA-C

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Thu Apr 1 09:58:05 EDT 2010

> To answer Fred's point bellow, the issue is that nothing
> prevents those ULAs to be routed on the Internet.

WRONG!

Filters and ACLs prevent those ULA addresses from being routed
to the Internet, but these are technical measures and they
can be misconfigured, as they often are in the case of
RFC 1918 addresses. ULA-C offers us the opportunity to record
the registrant of each block in a central directory and when
someone encounters packets with ULA-C addresses, they can
find out where they are coming from and more easily get the
problem fixed.

> It is
> essentially a matter of how much an organization is willing
> to pay its service provider to announce the prefix.

Show me some evidence. You can black out the supplier's name
and the amount, but I want to see a copy of a signed contract
from any ISP, anywhere, that has agreed to announce an RFC 1918
prefix. Without such evidence, I simply do not believe that
what you say is possible.

-- Michael Dillon