[arin-ppml] IP Address Block Clean up

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Sep 14 21:19:19 EDT 2009

On Sep 14, 2009, at 5:42 PM, John Santos wrote:

> In the scenario described earlier, the Bad Guy (BG) was acquiring
> addresses, not paying his renewal fee after a year, then applying
> for and getting a new address block, repeat.  The poster could tell
> it was the same BG because although he was using a new business name
> each time, the contact info was the same (personal name, mailing
> address, etc., I would guess.)  In this case, I think it would
> be easy for ARIN to address:  You can't get a new block if you've
> failed to pay up on your old block, or otherwise violated their RSA.

I will check into this immediately.

> (I suppose BG could be allowed to re-instate the old block (if still
> available) by paying up his back fees, but this would defeat the BG's
> purpose, which is to get new, untainted addresses.  However, it would
> let someone legitimate who worked for or owned a failed business to
> start over, especially if their original addresses were untainted and
> they were happy to have them back.)

We presently take addresses revoked for non-payment and put them on
hold-down for 1 year.  This is important since sometimes otherwise
innocent parties simply have a payment error, and we want to make sure
that they get their original address space back & promptly. Note -
this is also why we don't want to publish a list of blocks at the time
of revocation (in addition to the one at reissuance) since if RBL's
were to remove these blocks on revocation, it would only provide
spammers incentive to "wash" their address space by non-payment & then
cure.

> This wouldn't stop BG dead in his tracks (he could always hire someone
> to front for him), but it might slow him down.

Will check regarding history under the same name as non-payer. Note
that:  1) it may cause these folks to simply enlist "mules" for use of
their name, and 2) we'll need to review for any legal issues with ARIN
failing to do business with a party specifically because the debt/
credit/payment history of "related" LLC...

/John

President and CEO
ARIN