[arin-ppml] IP Address Block Clean up

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Mon Sep 14 17:29:33 EDT 2009

 > "In reality, we would all benefit if policy to stop it before it
happens and policy to clean it up before reissuing existed at the registry "

> Cheers,
> Marla Azinger
> Frontier Communications
> Sr Data Engineer

In my humble opinion this is really an attempt to promulgate the
misguided notion that the Internet is going to be run on IPv4 for
the foreseeable future.

The mathematics of address allocation just don't support this.

IPv4 runout  (ie: end of virgin IPv4 assignments) is within 3
years:

http://www.potaroo.net/tools/ipv4/index.html

My liberal estimate of IPv4 reclamation is it will turn
up possibly another 2 years at most of assignable IPv4 at current
assignment rates.  Most of this will be in itty-bitty chunks that will
be useless for the large comsumers of IP addressing, so it's
assignment rate will be much extended - since the small consumers
of IPv4 will be the only ones feeding at that trough.

During this time some IPv4 will also come into play as a result of
the "transfer market"

During this time more and more IPv6 will be coming into play from
the large networks.

Probably 5 years from end-of-IPv4 we will see the beginnings of
non-dual-stacked, IPv6-only, networks.

In probably a decade after runout, IPv4 will be in a surplus mode.

I don't see the point in trying to create policy that ENABLES the
extension of IPv4 on the Internet past it's natural lifespan.

It's one thing to take IPv4 that has never seen the light of day
(due to assignment fuck-ups made back in 1996 or thereabouts) and
dig it out of whatever swamp it's in, blow off the dust, and use it.

It's quite another to assume that IPv4 is a permanent part of the
Internet and establish a framework that considers it so.

In my basement I have an old 10Mhz IBM XT clone, fitted with a
8-bit ISA thinnet card, with a 10BaseT media converter on it, with
the DOS version of NCSA Telnet on it.  And I even have an EGA card
and monitor on it so I have 16 colors!!!

I appreciate all your efforts to try to keep things on the Internet
so that 15 years from now, I will have the ability to pull this
system out from behind the door it's propping open, and plug it into a
DSL line then login to a Linux system somewhere on the Internet.

But, I have a feeling by then my wife will have had me throw it out.

Seriously, it's dead, Jim!

Ted