[arin-ppml] IP Address Block Clean up

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Mon Sep 14 17:03:01 EDT 2009

as i replied on nanog

    From: Randy Bush <randy at psg.com>
    Subject: Re: Hijacked Blocks
    To: "Azinger, Marla" <marla.azinger at frontiercorp.com>
    Cc: John Curran <jcurran at arin.net>, North American Network Operators
     Group <nanog at nanog.org>
    Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 05:47:59 +0900

    > I haven't followed this entire string.  Are you saying ARIN is repeatedly handing out address space to known abusers?  If that's the case then yes, some form of policy should be worked on.

    i might walk more slowly and with a bit less self-righteousness.  this
    is not a simple area.  are we sure we want the rirs to become the net
    content police?  how are they to judge?

    e.g., prudent isps act against a customer when there is a court order,
    not when the net gossip says they're bad actors.  i.e., the decision of
    who is a bad actor is passed on to the society's normal judicial
    process.

    randy

not that i think that bad actors should not be inhibited.  i am just not
sure the arin is the best way of doing so.  perhaps looking at how to
streamline the judicial process is an avenue that needs to be more fully
explored before we become the net judges and jury.

[ i also shudder thinking about a discussion here of how many commercial
emails a day can dance on the head of a spam pin, etc. ]

randy