[arin-ppml] IPv4 Depletion as an ARIN policy concern

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Fri Oct 30 13:50:34 EDT 2009

> Maybe it's just my COOP mindset, but it seems to me there are
> a lot of ways that adding IPv6 to my servers can disrupt
> their IPv4 operation.

You are right. Don't add IPv6 to an IPv4 server. Instead, create
a translation layer so that IPv6 hosts can access it through the
translation layer. Part of such a translation layer would be
a different hostname, for instance use ipv6.example.com instead
of www.example.com.

One translation layer gateway can front for many IPv4 servers.
And there is a veritable smorgasbord of tools that can be used
to make translation gateways from web proxies for purely http
servers, to 6to4 relays for miscellaneous IP traffic.

The important thing is to implement something, and tell people
about the problems that you run into, as well as your successes.
The more open discussion there is, the quicker problems will
be fixed.

--Michael Dillon