[arin-ppml] IPv4 Depletion as an ARIN policy concern

Lee Howard spiffnolee at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 30 10:29:43 EDT 2009

[re: dual-stacking public-facing servers]
> What would possibly motivate me to do such a thing to my smoothly

> running servers?

There's an interesting issue here between ISPs, who really need IPv6,
and content providers.  Presumably, you care about eyeballs reaching
your site.  Bearing in mind address consumers like mobile devices,
smartgrid, and video devices:

How long will IPv4 space be available by any means.
How well will multiple layers of NAT44... work for your site?

Supporting IPv6 on public servers may be as easy as adding an
IPv6 VIP to your load balancer, a new entry in your firewall,
and a AAAA record in your DNS.  There are very few places
where adding IPv6 might break something.

There are some tough business decisions to be made, and if it
turns into a game of chicken between ISPs and content providers,
the transition will be ugly.

I ask you, then: what would motivate you to provide IPv6 support
on your servers?

Lee