[arin-ppml] v4 to v6 obstacles

Joe Maimon jmaimon at chl.com
Thu Oct 29 14:21:15 EDT 2009

Matthew Kaufman wrote:

> Agreed, assuming that enough IPv4 addresses can't be found via transfer
> "after runout". I think the real answer is that it becomes needed after
> the *real* runout, which is after holders of IPv4 who don't really need
> it (see all the companies with legacy class A and class B space for
> their internal nets who NAT all of them to the outside world anyway)
> sell it to people who can use it more effectively.

You dont have to pick on the legacy holders. Any provider of residential
  style access service can probably switch 80%+ of their userbase to
rfc1918 and charge for the rest.

Any large organization who has a history of being generous before
depletion will have plenty available after the beancounters step in.

It wont be these organizations who need transfers.