[arin-ppml] v4 to v6 obstacles

Lee Dilkie Lee at dilkie.com
Thu Oct 29 07:30:48 EDT 2009

Matthew Kaufman wrote:
> Lee Howard wrote:
>>

>> That's the goal!  If you can't tell the difference, then that's a
>> success!
>>
> Actually that's the *problem*. If I can't tell the difference, then
> there's no reason for me to demand IPv6 *or* for my provider to give
> it to me.
Yup. It is the problem. Except that at some point your ISP will be
unable to give you a v4 address at all and then the ISP would have a
very serious business crisis on it's hands. If the ISP were looking
ahead then it would understand that eating the cost of v6 rollout to
customers, who are not demanding it but it "just works", would be in
their best long term business interests. When they get to the point
where they cannot hand out a v4 address to go with the v6, if the rest
of the net has reached that magic number, then the customer still won't
notice.

> IF it is possible to continue indefinitely providing dual-stack (NAT
> or otherwise for the IPv4), THEN it is possible to continue
> indefinitely *not* providing IPv6 at all.
Of course, but we all know it's not possible to continue handing out v4
addresses.

> Until there's an application for which I *can* tell the difference, in
> a big way.
Agreed. A v6 only killer app would go a long way to helping this.

-lee