[arin-ppml] v4 to v6 obstacles

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Thu Oct 29 01:35:17 EDT 2009

Lee Howard wrote:

> [...]
But since they need to provide it *anyway* in order to give me
dual-stack (which I need enabled anyway to reach the N% of the Internet
that hasn't yet switched *and* my 10 year old laser printer and my
in-home music system and the web interface of my solar power system and,
and, and...), all we're talking about is "the ISP must pay for the NAT
(and maybe some more public address space via a transfer market if they
grow) *and* IPv6" vs. "the ISP must pay for the NAT and *not* IPv6".

>> When there's an answer to that question more exciting than "the turtle
>> dances when you go to kame.net", people will care and demand IPv6. Until
>> then, why would they bother?
>>
>> I've had every desktop in my house IPv6-enabled for over a year. I've
>> experienced absolutely no difference, except for a few sites that are a
>> bit slower to reach as a result. On those days when, for whatever
>> reason, the IPv6 is down... I don't even notice until I happen to see it
>> in the logs.
>>

> That's the goal!  If you can't tell the difference, then that's a success!

Actually that's the *problem*. If I can't tell the difference, then
there's no reason for me to demand IPv6 *or* for my provider to give it
to me.

IF it is possible to continue indefinitely providing dual-stack (NAT or
otherwise for the IPv4), THEN it is possible to continue indefinitely
*not* providing IPv6 at all.

Until there's an application for which I *can* tell the difference, in a
big way.

Matthew Kaufman