[arin-ppml] IPv4 Depletion as an ARIN policy concern

Chris Grundemann cgrundemann at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 19:49:07 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 13:50, Joe Maimon <jmaimon at chl.com> wrote:

> Paul G. Timmins wrote:
>>
>> Taking this to its logical conclusion, it's not necessary for community
>> consensus to implement NAT66. If people demand it, and equipment vendors
>> want to implement it, they will, and then will standardize it after the
>> fact, much like many other current standards have been done.
>>
>> The fact that no such standard exists and no platform I'm aware of
>> implements NAT66 is pretty telling in and of itself.
>>
>> -Paul
>>

> What is proper is to stop demanding that everyone not want to use it.

I was not trying to demand that no-one use NAT (although that case
_can_ be made).  I was trying to point out (perhaps not very well)
that there _are_ other ways to do _everything_ that NAT has come to be
used for in IPv4 (a handful have been listed elsewhere in this
thread).  It may require changing your mindset a bit and it may even
require a bit more work <gasp> but it is very possible. The exception
is what NAT44 was originally designed to do; which is prolong the
useful life of IPv4 - and its effectiveness at that task is nearing
its end.

The only thing that I would demand (if I could) is that everyone take
IPv6 seriously.  If it is lacking features that you need, make that
known to your vendors - and do it soon (I would encourage some
research first though, you may not need exactly what you think you
need).  You _will_ need to deploy IPv6.  The sooner your network is
capable of that deployment, the less it will cost you and the easier
it will make the rest of our lives as well.

Of course, if you wait 'till the last minute others will likely be
able to make a fortune as IPv6 transition consultants...

(using the words "you", "our" and "others" very generally, not directly)

$.02
~Chris

--
@ChrisGrundemann