[arin-ppml] IPv4 Depletion as an ARIN policy concern

Chris Engel cengel at sponsordirect.com
Wed Oct 28 16:06:12 EDT 2009

Paul,

Respectfully, that is because for the vast majority of Network/System Admins IPv6 and the details of it's implementation are barely a blip on the radar screen....if that.

I can attest that NAT is a tool which see's extensive use among said Admins...and NOT simply because one cannot obtain enough public IP addresses. As I believe I have illustrated...it has a variety of useful functionality for us. I can assure you that if something in IPv6 does not offer the equivalent functionality to that which NAT currently provides for IPV4 and in a similarly convenient manner.....you are going to hear a VERY loud wailing and gnashing of teeth from this population.

I'm sure that is a sound that will resonate with equipment vendors. However without some confidence that some sort of NAT66 solution will be provided (or nearly identical functionality can be achieved).....your going to see alot of resistance in this population to IPv6 adoption.

If you want people to actually be SUPPORTIVE of that adoption rather then RESISTANT then you have to provide some assurance that the tools they are used to working with to solve real problems will be available in some form.....or at the very least a substitute that achieves equivalent functionality and is easily translatable.

"Taking this to its logical conclusion, it's not necessary for community consensus to implement NAT66. If people demand it, and equipment vendors want to implement it, they will, and then will standardize it after the fact, much like many other current standards have been done.

The fact that no such standard exists and no platform I'm aware of implements NAT66 is pretty telling in and of itself.

-Paul"