[arin-ppml] IPv4 Depletion as an ARIN policy concern

Keith W. Hare Keith at jcc.com
Wed Oct 28 18:25:33 EDT 2009

> Joe Maimon wrote:

>It is not foolish to suggest that providing all abilities in IPv6 that
>are widely used in IPv4 lowers the barrier to adoption.

Joe,

We can debate your statement for a great deal of time, but to what point?

This mailing list is the ARIN policy mailing list. ARIN is responsible for number assignments, not for network protocols.

The underlying issue is that the available pool of IPv4 addresses will dry up in the next couple of years. IPv6 is the solution to IPv4 pool exhaustion whether or not IPv6 protocols and products have all of the abilities that are widely used in IPv4.

This list is a good place to debate topics such as the tradeoff between Provider Independent (PI) assignments and Provider Aggregatable (PA) allocations. (Or is it PI allocations and PA assignments?)

However, ARIN is not in a position to do anything about NAT6-6 no matter how much technical merit it has.

Keith

Keith W. Hare                     JCC Consulting, Inc.
keith at jcc.com                     600 Newark Road
Phone: 740-587-0157               P.O. Box 381
Fax: 740-587-0163                 Granville, Ohio 43023
http://www.jcc.com                USA