[arin-ppml] IPv4 Depletion as an ARIN policy concern

Paul G. Timmins ptimmins at clearrate.com
Wed Oct 28 15:25:19 EDT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net [mailto:arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net] On
Behalf Of Joe Maimon
Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 2:05 PM
To: Chris Grundemann
Cc: Chris Engel; arin-ppml at arin.net
Subject: Re: [arin-ppml] IPv4 Depletion as an ARIN policy concern

> Chris Grundemann wrote:
>

> > You are used to using it, habits are not all good.
> >
> > with a smile,
> > ~Chris
>
> Now that is a flimsy objection, even while true. Eradicating NAT
should
> not be about rehabilitating network administrators habits and
preferences.

> It should come by itself, on the day that it offers no positive
> cost-benefit-ratio to anyone.

Taking this to its logical conclusion, it's not necessary for community
consensus to implement NAT66. If people demand it, and equipment vendors
want to implement it, they will, and then will standardize it after the
fact, much like many other current standards have been done.

The fact that no such standard exists and no platform I'm aware of
implements NAT66 is pretty telling in and of itself.

-Paul