[arin-ppml] Proposal 99 -- IPv4 multihomed end-user minimum to /24

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Mon Oct 26 23:07:44 EDT 2009

Matthew Petach wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 6:09 PM, Steve Bertrand <steve at ibctech.ca> wrote:
>> Owen DeLong wrote:
>>> The following proposal has been sent to PPML before.  It is now on the
>>> AC docket.

>> To me, it seems as though there are many places within the proposal
>> where the term 'assignment' appears where I would expect the term
>> 'allocation'.
>>
>> This is slightly clouding my understanding of the policy proposal.
>>
>> If the true intent of the proposer was to use 'assignment' in all cases,
>> please forgive me. If the terminology is indeed misrepresented, can that
>> be fixed?

> I think if Owen simply changes the title from:
>
> Policy Proposal Name: /24 End User Minimum Allocation Unit

> Policy Proposal Name: /24 End User Minimum Assignment
>
> it should put the entire text once again into consistent usage,
> right?  At that point, the change would refer entirely to the end site
> assignments, not to ISP/LIR allocations.

Yes, the change would make it clear as to what is being referred to, and
would put the text into consistent usage.

I read assignment as something that I hand out. I read allocation as
something that I receive from ARIN (or my local RIR, as it were).

I'm sorry to have come forward about my confusion, but normally, when I
review a proposal to change the NRPM (or anything related to it), I
always assume 'allocation'.

Your title change makes it crystal clear (to me) as to what the intent is.

Steve