[arin-ppml] IPv4 Depletion as an ARIN policy concern

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat Oct 24 15:16:24 EDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 10:05 AM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:
>> > 3. The BoT determines that blocks of ARIN-managed IP addresses of /24
>> > and larger are not generally available for purchase via the transfer
>> > market for less than $10/address.
>
> What hat was _that_ number pulled out of?

Milton,

There's no particular rationale behind that number. I needed to fill
the blank and I offer it as a starting point for discussion. Is it too
high? Too low?

Until the end of the free pool, cost per address is as low as
fractional cents. After depletion, how much per address is too much?
How much is so much that for all intents and purposes the address
market has locked up and become ineffective?

Regards,
Bill

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004