[arin-ppml] IPv4 Depletion as an ARIN policy concern

George, Wes E [NTK] Wesley.E.George at sprint.com
Sat Oct 24 08:44:23 EDT 2009

________________________________
From: Owen DeLong [mailto:owen at delong.com]
Sent: Saturday, October 24, 2009 12:40 AM
To: Warren Johnson
Cc: George, Wes E [NTK]; tvest at eyeconomics.com; 'ARIN PPML'
Subject: Re: [arin-ppml] IPv4 Depletion as an ARIN policy concern

IF they even know the difference between IPv4 and IPv6. They are thinking in
terms of, "how can I delay our investment in this IPv6 thing as long as
possible because it's cash out the door for which I can't see an incremental
benefit in revenue?" The only thing that is combating *that* delay tactic is
technical people like me spreading FUD by citing potential lost revenue for
customers who leave us because we can't offer IPv6, and inability to service
existing customers when we run out of IPv4 addresses.

Small nit here... FUD stands for Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt and is usually used
in the context of creating false fears, unwarranted uncertainty, and unreasonable
doubt, such as the fear tactics commonly used by politicians.

[weg] yeah, didn't really mean FUD in that way, just couldn't think of a better way to describe the out and out fearmongering I'm having to do internally to move this at something above our standard glacial pace. I'm saying things that are 100% true, but one can spin it by choosing the more aggressive and unpleasant scenarios to increase the perceived urgency. I have started introducing myself at some internal meetings as "the crazy guy on the streetcorner with the sandwich board that says 'the end of IPv4 is nigh'" ;-)

Wes

This e-mail may contain Sprint Nextel Company proprietary information intended for the sole use of the recipient(s). Any use by others is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies of the message.