[arin-ppml] IPv4 Depletion as an ARIN policy concern

George, Wes E [NTK] Wesley.E.George at sprint.com
Fri Oct 23 22:59:07 EDT 2009

> William Herrin wrote:

The exact number isn't all that important. The number we pick should
be a price at which consensus places it well past reasonable for cell
phones to have public IPv4 addresses that the registrant gets to hold
on to at pennies per. Start at $1 and keep adding until only the
loonies say, "My cell phone should have a public IP even at that
price."

I understand that this is just an example, but it may not be the best one. Mobile carriers (at least the one I work for) already have contingency plans that involve categorizing mobile devices into those which can have IPv6-only (+ALG for IPv4), IPv4 + NAT, and those which actually still require a public IPv4 address, so that we can make sure we're using public IPs in the most efficient way possible, because we're pretty sure we're going to run out before IPv6-only mobile devices can do everything they need to in a way that's seamless to the end user.
Also, keep in mind that any suggestion of making it more expensive to have a public address would translate into something similar to what you see in some hotels - $X for standard service (which probably means NAT or ALG) and $1.5X for service if we have to give you a public IP. The transfer market might drive the same behavior, but you need to let the market decide what that pricing is, not try to artificially raise it beforehand.

Thanks
Wes George

This e-mail may contain Sprint Nextel Company proprietary information intended for the sole use of the recipient(s). Any use by others is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies of the message.