[arin-ppml] 2009.10.22 ARIN 24 day 2 part 2 notes

Joe Maimon jmaimon at chl.com
Thu Oct 22 17:43:57 EDT 2009

Thanks Matt!

Matthew Petach wrote:

> Draft policy 2009-8: equitable IPv4 run-out
> June 8th, 2009, draft policy 2009 aug 31
>
> similar policies in all regions.

> Ted Middlestat--in favour of policy, though he doesn't
> think policy will help; orgs who are smart will move
> to IPv6.  The stupid ones will be gaming the system
> anyhow, and generating bogus needs.  Orgs that need a /17
> will generate requests for /15s instead.  The Friday
> night party will be all the procrastinators who haven't
> prepared, and will be out of business 6 months later.
> So, this is harmless anyhow.

> Joe Maimon supports the policy; if one or a few big
> players clear out the final supply, we can end up with
> a prime time sound bite.  ARIN should aim to prevent
> gaming.

(2:26:17 PM) jmaimon: Joe Maimon - CHL, Pronouncable in many equally
correct ways, but usually as Maymin or Mymin with equal stress on each half.

I support this policy. I think that a scenario described where all
scarce resources are cleaned out by one or a few big players could be
the final black eye for the rir system in the eyes of many. It may even
create a prime time news sound bite. I do not believe this policy is the
be all end all, but I do not believe that policies should address
potential gaming, ARIN staff is responsible as always for detecting and
preventing gaming.

> Policies reviewed
> identify invalid whois POC 2008-7
>  not fully implemented, some issues to bring to community
>  and get feedback

> Ted; if you don't support sending email to the downstream,
> raise policy to change NRPM.
>
> Joe Maimon, if you don't agree with this, emergency policy
> action may be needed.

(3:50:41 PM) jmaimon: Yes, but if ARIN is going to delay implementation,
then emergency policy action to excise reassignments is actually more
apropriate

I made this comment to address Chris concern that a complete review
occur before run out, I suggested that instead of waiting policy cycle
without implementation, this could qualify for the BoT to take more
prompt action.