[arin-ppml] Using fees to encourage route aggregation

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 12:20:39 EDT 2009

Milton L Mueller wrote:

> Thanks for your intervention, Chris. That's exactly where I've been trying to move. In that regard I find it interesting that despite the constant worrying about route aggregation, the proposal I made to use RIR fees to encourage aggregation (or "tax" deaggregation) has not attracted a single comment. People seem more interested in the broad ideological classifications than in assessing specific proposals.

Perhaps people were ignoring the "fairness" thread?  :-)  Or perhaps,
like me, most people generally agree with that particular point, so
there's maybe not as much to discuss.  My own thought is that using fees
to encourage aggregation (discourage deaggregation) would probably work,
but that there isn't a lot of need for doing so just yet.  If we get to
the point where multiple networks are having problems with routing table
growth that can't be solved through filtering of distant more-specifics,
through charging customers for route announcements, and/or through
peering agreements, then perhaps someone will resurrect the idea on
arin-discuss for the board's consideration.

-Scott