[arin-ppml] Fairness of banning IPv4 allocations to somecategoryof

Chris Engel cengel at sponsordirect.com
Wed Oct 14 12:53:23 EDT 2009

Human history is replete with examples of market-based systems (with greater or lessor controls) that have operated with remarkable effectiveness, stability and even "fairness" ( I use that term in quotes because it is an entirely subjective measure. Different people will have entirely different perspectives of what is "fair". In fact, I would hazard that recognition of this is one of the major advantages of market-based systems). It is also replete with examples of need-based systems that have gone horribly awry.

The reverse is true as well. There are many examples of market-based systems running amuck... and of need-based systems which served thier purpose admirably.

Rather then get wraped up in an ideoligical debate about such systems which is likely unresolvable, can we admit that under the right circumstances and with the proper implimentation in place EITHER some form of market-based or needs-based system COULD be made to function effectively for the allocation of IP Address Space?

If that is the case, then perhaps the discussion could be moved to focus on specific advantages and disadvantages of specific implimentations of such systems for the intended purpose?

Christopher Engel