[arin-ppml] Fairness of banning IPv4 allocations to somecategoryof organization

George, Wes E [NTK] Wesley.E.George at sprint.com
Mon Oct 12 20:02:43 EDT 2009

Owen, I thought about this sort of thing (I have a similar receiver) but didn't think it worth mentioning because step one is that the user must be asking for public IPs from ARIN, which a home user will not be doing. I highly doubt that you (or the manufacturer) ever intended it to have a public IP address and be world-reachable, and therefore it's unlikely that [insert HT maker or big-box electronics retailer here] is going to show up asking for multiple /8s to address them. It gets a 1918 address just like all the rest of the devices in your home LAN, and is perfectly happy with it. If you REALLY want it publicly accessible, you enable port forwarding, etc.

If embedded devices all lived behind a SOHO router (and its associated NAT), using the existing public IPv4 address that has been allocated for the broadband connection, we wouldn't have a problem, except in the places where the meter uses its own connectivity (wireless usually) or it's otherwise not feasible to put the embedded device on an existing network.

Thanks,
Wes