[arin-ppml] Fairness of banning IPv4 allocations to somecategoryof organization

George, Wes E [NTK] Wesley.E.George at sprint.com
Sat Oct 10 15:30:25 EDT 2009

By this definition, yes I think a mobile phone is a workstation. Also, it becomes even moreso when you consider the ability to tether the phone for use as a data modem for a standard PC (carrier rules around tethering notwithstanding of course).

I support this concept of a general limit on embedded device allocations, but since it looks like we're getting close to draft policy language, I think we need to be careful with how we define server - the below could exempt any smart meter or other device that has a web interface for management. I'm not sure whether "provides a content or communications service" covers that possibility... Thoughts? I realize it's ultimately up to interpretation by ARIN employees, but we should be very clear about the spirit behind this policy in order to remove as much confusion as possible in the future.
I haven't looked through the drafts, but I'm wondering if there isn't actually fodder for the class of device we're trying to cover here in the ROLL or 6LOWPAN IETF WGs that we can incorporate as a reference. The charters seem to have some good stuff.

Wes George