[arin-ppml] Straw Poll

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Tue Oct 6 20:26:54 EDT 2009

Dan White wrote:
> On 06/10/09 10:26 -0700, Fred Baker wrote:
>> I agree with you, but let me reflect some comments I have heard from
>> the Smart Grid side of the house.
>>
>> One thing they are very worried about is running the SG over the
>> Internet. They are interested in control - the term "control freak"
>> has been used - and they don't see the Internet as all that well
>> controlled. That's not universal, of course; The Cisco/Yello thing in
>> Germany uses a subscriber's broadband connection, I believe a DMVPN.
>> But many do want direct connectivity to their customers and the
>> ability to directly manage at least some appliances and instruments in
>> subscriber's homes - notably the electric meter.
>
> Suppose they take that approach... everything's on a private network,
> including "approved" appliances. The meter reports current usage, and each
> appliance reports its need for energy, and what times of the day it need it
> - i.e. your futuristic electric car probably doesn't need to charge during
> peak hours.
>
> What happens when someone compromises their appliances, or their car, to
> game the system?

To what end?  The whole idea behind the smart grid thing is driven by
the idea that at some point in the future the electric utilities will
be able to charge peak usage rates.  Meaning that if you have an
appliance that has a CHOICE of whether it can draw power, it would
choose off-peak.  In the refrigerator example, perhaps the icemaker in
the refrigerator will shut off during the day.  And so on.

There is no benefit to gaming your appliances, either your going to
draw power during peak or not.  The meter knows when it's supplying
power during peak periods.  To gain anything you would have to
compromise the meter, and if the meter is on a private network the
only possible entry point for the compromise is from the downstream
side, ie: the side plugged into the subscriber.  In which case it is a
theft-of-power situation, and the utilities have been dealing with those
for a century.

> Security won't be found in a private network or dependence on the ignorance
> of users, but in sound security principals. It shouldn't matter how the
> electric grid communicates - your home grid might choose to use your
> broadband connection is a backup communication medium.
>
> If properly managed and designed, it would be in a consumer's best interest
> to provide accurate information to the grid (because of pricing
> incentives).

I think the idea is the other way around, the grid tells the consumer
when it would prefer that the consumer draw power.

Ted