[arin-ppml] [a-p] Straw poll on special policy for electricenergy

Ron Cleven rlc at usfamily.net
Tue Oct 6 17:41:00 EDT 2009

I don't get this discussion (though I admit I did not go back and read
the entire thing, so maybe I am missing something important, if so I'm
sorry).

There seems to be an underlying assumption that all devices need their
own ip address (whether ipv4 or ipv6).  While that is obviously one way
to architect things, it would seem that the devices could just as easily
and more sensibly "phone home" via good ole NAT (whether ipv4 or ipv6),
provide their unique identifier (NOT an ip address) and exchange
whatever information is relevant with their home base.