[arin-ppml] [a-p] Straw poll on special policy for electricenergy

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Tue Oct 6 17:24:30 EDT 2009

> >  Who are you to say that
> > because you have some numbers and they don't, you should get
> > more and they can't have any?
>
> Because the current IPv4 address holders are providing an important
> service that is dependent on a continued supply of IPv4 addresses
> for at least a couple more years until the transition picks up steam.
> And these newcomers, haven't got any NEED for IPv4, since they haven't
> actually built out their infrastructure, and everything that they want
> to do can be done with IPv6. In some cases they can do it better and
> cheaper with IPv6.

You seem to be forgetting that there is much territory even in the great
United States that has no IPv6 native routing (right where I am sitting for
example).

This is not a matter of choice, it is simply not available.  You can spout
all you want about threatening providers with economic sanctions if they do
not provide IPv6, but so long as they know that nobody in the area provides
it then unless you are willing to close the doors on your business to spite
them they can safely disregard your threats.