[arin-ppml] Straw Poll

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Tue Oct 6 14:26:10 EDT 2009

On 06/10/09 10:26 -0700, Fred Baker wrote:
> I agree with you, but let me reflect some comments I have heard from the
> Smart Grid side of the house.
>
> One thing they are very worried about is running the SG over the
> Internet. They are interested in control - the term "control freak" has
> been used - and they don't see the Internet as all that well controlled.
> That's not universal, of course; The Cisco/Yello thing in Germany uses a
> subscriber's broadband connection, I believe a DMVPN. But many do want
> direct connectivity to their customers and the ability to directly manage
> at least some appliances and instruments in subscriber's homes - notably
> the electric meter.

Suppose they take that approach... everything's on a private network,
including "approved" appliances. The meter reports current usage, and each
appliance reports its need for energy, and what times of the day it need it
- i.e. your futuristic electric car probably doesn't need to charge during
peak hours.

What happens when someone compromises their appliances, or their car, to
game the system?

Security won't be found in a private network or dependence on the ignorance
of users, but in sound security principals. It shouldn't matter how the
electric grid communicates - your home grid might choose to use your
broadband connection is a backup communication medium.

If properly managed and designed, it would be in a consumer's best interest
to provide accurate information to the grid (because of pricing
incentives).

--
Dan White
BTC Broadband