[arin-ppml] Straw Poll

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Tue Oct 6 13:26:51 EDT 2009

On Oct 6, 2009, at 10:04 AM, RudOlph Daniel wrote:

> Am I correct in thinking that any industry planning to use a dodo
> will probably join the extinct species too. :)

I agree with you, but let me reflect some comments I have heard from
the Smart Grid side of the house.

One thing they are very worried about is running the SG over the
Internet. They are interested in control - the term "control freak"
has been used - and they don't see the Internet as all that well
controlled. That's not universal, of course; The Cisco/Yello thing in
Germany uses a subscriber's broadband connection, I believe a DMVPN.
But many do want direct connectivity to their customers and the
ability to directly manage at least some appliances and instruments in
subscriber's homes - notably the electric meter.

 From that perspective, they see the Smart Grid as a completely
separate (even if occasionally an overlay on top of the) Internet.
 From that perspective, their view tends to be that they can
completely re-use the existing IPv4 address space without colliding
with the Internet.

Not defending the viewpoint, reporting it. Don't shoot the messenger.

What would probably be most helpful would be if ARIN and its members
(separately) decided to comment on http://www.nist.gov/smartgrid/ and
specifically http://www.nist.gov/public_affairs/releases/smartgrid_interoperability.pdf