[arin-ppml] Straw poll on special policy for electric energy industry

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Tue Oct 6 12:35:11 EDT 2009

> I think your overly focused on electric utilities and I think
> targeting an industry is the wrong approach.  What makes a
> lot of sense
> is what Bill said, which is a ban on IPv4 address allocations for
> _embedded systems_ of any sort that do not function as publicly
> accessible Internet servers.
>
> An electric utility that did publicly-number every meter would
> easily fit that, as would a great many other hair-brained schemes
> (like the IP address on the refrigerator deal) that IMHO have no
> real need to even be deployed at all.

Fair enough, a ban on globally unique IPv4 addresses for any embedded
system applications seems more reasonable than targeting one type
of usage (Smart Grid) for embedded systems.

One example that I have seen of using globally registered IPv6 addresses
for nothing more than the uniqueness of the number, was printing out
RFID tags on a special inkjet printer. With just one /64 subnet
allocation
you could print, and discard RFID tags with globally unique registered
IPv6 addresses as identifiers, and you would grow old and grey before
you used up the 18.4 billion billion numbers in that single /64 block.

So wierd and whacky embedded system ideas really should be looking at
IPv6 today. Because with IPv6, we really do have plenty of address
space to accomodate these ideas without thinking twice about it.

--Michael Dillon