[arin-ppml] Straw poll on special policy for electric energy industry

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Tue Oct 6 06:21:27 EDT 2009

> If your interested in such a policy I would suggest you
> contact Sensus http://www.sensus.com/ who supplied the meters
> that PGE used, and ask them if they use IP addressing.
> PGE uses AMI meters using FlexNet:

They do.
<http://www.sensus.com/Module/PressRelease/PressReleaseFileFile?id=84>
Sensus Announces IP-based Smart Grid for FlexNet
Industry-leading FlexNet Solution addresses IPv4 and IPv6 endpoints on
powerful
and secure, licensed band, wireless Smart Grid and AMI Network

The purpose of such a policy is to protect the rest of the IP using
organizations from new entrants who want to use LARGE AMOUNTS of
IPv4 addresses. We have already reached the end game of IPv4. There
is not enough left for everybody. Those who already have IPv4 network
dependencies should be served first by ARIN, and the rest should use
IPv6. That is the reason for banning the entire Smart Grid industry
from receiving globally registered IPv4 addresses. Of course, they
can use all the RFC 1918 IPv4 addresses that they want, and they can
get all the globally registered IPv6 addresses that they want.

But the IPv4 watering is almost dried up and they are not welcome
to join us.

--Michael Dillon

P.S. this is only a straw poll discussion at present, to see how
people feel about an industry whose plans could cause IPv4 runout
to happen suddenly with only a couple of months notice.