[arin-ppml] SWIPs & IPv6

Danny McPherson danny at tcb.net
Mon Nov 30 17:22:25 EST 2009

I'd like to know what folks here are thinking regarding
IPv6 and SWIPs.  In particular, a primary driver for SWIPs
today is to enable justification of additional addresses
(when the time comes).  SWIP data is clearly invaluable to
network operations and security folks, as well as law
enforcement, when investigating or dealing with various
incidents (not to mention many other uses, as many of you
well know).

I suspect that with such large IPv6 allocations, the need
to keep SWIP/(rwhois) data up to date will diminish, severely
hindering folks that use SWIP data on a regular basis.

Furthermore, while development of an RPKI is underway, it
really only deals with certification of routed number spaces
(as currently specified).  While I _think we don't want all
subsequent assignment/allocation data in the RPKI, I'm worried
we won't have it anywhere with IPv6 -- or in many different
places and formats.

I suspect at least a BCP (some form, some where) and some
community guidance is in order along these lines (i.e.,
SWIP-esque data is a must to some reasonable level of
granularity), I'd like to see what folks here are thinking
along these lines..

If I've missed this discussion here (or in other forums)
references welcome, a cursory search yields nothing expressly
related to this topic.

Thanks in advance,

-danny