[arin-ppml] IP Address Fee Structure Policy and the Right of Education

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sun Nov 29 12:19:59 EST 2009

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 10:20 AM, Christopher Mettin
<cmettin at gqbc-online.com> wrote:
> But would there generally be a problem with my model of assigning IP
> addresses to educational institutions through GQHS as LIR?

Chris,

If your ARIN-region ISP won't give you static addresses now, they
won't route the addresses you bring them either. There's a division of
responsibility there that I'm not convinced you clearly understand. I
respectfully suggest you work on getting accounts from those ISPs
which support the use of static CIDR blocks and BGP before you
continue your pursuit of IP addresses at ARIN.

While there is nothing intrinsically wrong with GQHS operating as a
LIR, in the ARIN region that more or less means ISP and much of the
policy is written with the tacit understanding that LIR=ISP. I don't
get the impression that GQHS is planning to build an international
packet data network any time soon so you're probably not prepared to
meet the networking and efficiency requirements that are built in to
the allocation process.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004